12.20.2008

O Come, O Come, Emmanuel , Spider plants, and Trees tops..

(I did always prefer it spelled with an E)

Well, while there is not a lot of gardening going on, I am keeping an eye on my several indoor plants, and a few spider starts that are creeping out of their plastic glasses in the window sill.  My Ivy has been growing up and wild. My mature spider complained about getting watered to much, so I'm leaving her alone.  The smaller ones are turning out nicely, and my other plants are coming along just fine.  I have one that I think is nicknamed "Butterfly wings" (I have no idea) that is doing quite well.   

The main worry is keeping the grand Christmas Tree watered!  Sometimes he drinks quite a bit, and other times takes it slower.  I think he will last through the holidays though...and then maybe we can cut off the top, put it in water for a while, and replant it somewhere.  My sister's professor (from university days) does that every year, and it sounds like a nice idea.  Shall I try?

As none of you know, I play the guitar and perform occasionally.  Most of the time it's my own original work, but I was asked to play at a church Christmas Party a few weeks ago.  The song of choice?  "O Come, O Come, Emmanuel".  I sang and played on Astrud, my guitar (named after Astrud Gilberto, the bossa nova singer) while my sister accompanied on Violin.  It was fun, and sounded nice, considering I had had no voice all week long because I had been sick.  

I love singing Christmas songs...and here are the lyrics to that one, and a painting of Isaiah.  Don't you just love Isaiah?




O come, O come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.

Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Rod of Jesse, free
Thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
From depths of hell Thy people save,
And give them victory over the grave.

Rejoice! Rejoice!
Emmanuel shall come to thee, O Israel.

O come, Thou Day-spring, come and cheer
Our spirits by Thine advent here.
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
And death’s dark shadows put to flight.

Refrain


O come, Thou Key of David, come,
And open wide our heavenly home;
Make safe the way that leads on high,
And close the path to misery.

Refrain

O come, O come, great Lord of might,
Who to Thy tribes on Sinai’s height
In ancient times once gave the law
In cloud and majesty and awe.

Refrain

O come, Thou Root of Jesse’s tree,
An ensign of Thy people be;
Before Thee rulers silent fall;
All peoples on Thy mercy call.

Refrain

O come, Desire of nations, bind
In one the hearts of all mankind;
Bid Thou our sad divisions cease,
And be Thyself our King of Peace.

Refrain



2 comments:

Liz said...

Look like the cat is out of the bag. I learned to play classical and flamenco guitar a few year back now. But my poor guitar now needs a repair and an expensive one so he will have to wait a little longer. Try planting the tree why not?

Over watering is something you have to be careful of especially in winter. My poor plants even though I had watered them in the morning by the end of a very hot afternoon yesterday were begging for another drink. I'm looking at my so called garden at the moment. Pitiful..maybe I should start a gardening blog called What Garden? Hmmm

Merry Christmas and best wishes to you and your husband too
Liz

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love the way you call your plants he or she - lets me know that you really love them and that therefore they will survive. The poinsettia, a great plant for Christmas, is so often killed by over-watering and really likes leaving along - draughtfree - he will tell you when he needs a drink by dropping his leaves a bit.